KidLit for the Philippines is an online talent auction to benefit Mercy Corps and UNICEF relief efforts for Typhoon Haiyan (aka Yolanda). Agents, editors, authors, and illustrators have donated various services and items to be auctioned off to the highest bidder, with donations being made directly to Mercy Corps and UNICEF.
Auction #9: Books & Skype
Description: A Skype classroom visit, along with a signed hardcover of TEXTING THE UNDERWORLD and paperback of SMALL PERSONS WITH WINGS, plus temporary tattoos, bookmarks, and Fruity Foolers (a candy featured in TEXTING THE UNDERWORLD).
Estimated Value: $100
Minimum Bid: $50
Auction Ends: 12/3/2013 at 10:00 PM EST
Bio: Ellen Booraem’s TEXTING THE UNDERWORLD, a middle-grade fantasy about a scaredy-cat South Boston boy and a determined young banshee, hit bookstores in August (Penguin/Dial). It is a Kirkus Reviews “best book of the year,” as were her earlier books, SMALL PERSONS WITH WINGS and THE UNNAMEABLES. A former weekly newspaper editor, she lives in coastal Maine with an artist, a dog, and a cat, one of whom is a practicing curmudgeon.
Donor Ellen Booraem’s website: http://www.ellenbooraem.com/
* Bid by posting a comment with your bid amount in U.S. dollars; no anonymous bidding.
* To automatically receive updates on the latest bids, check the “Notify Me” box when you submit your comment.
* Highest bid before the end of the auction wins.
* A note about last-minute bidding: If you are used to online auctions that end at an exact, given second, please know that the KidLitPhil auctions don’t work quite that way. Each auction ends when I post the “Auction closed” comment. I do that when my computer turns to 10pm EST, but because I have multiple auctions to close at that time (also because I am human) it will not be precisely at 10pm EST. At any rate, the winning bid is the high bid before the Auction Closed comment, even if the time on your computer reads slightly after 10:00. Thanks for understanding!
* Winning bidder must donate the winning bid amount to a designated charity organization and provide a copy of the receipt within three days of notification.
* For physical items, unless otherwise noted, donor pays standard shipping within the U.S.; winning bidder pays for express shipping or for shipping outside the U.S.