KidLit for the Philippines is an online talent auction to benefit Mercy Corps and UNICEF relief efforts for Typhoon Haiyan (aka Yolanda). Agents, editors, authors, and illustrators have donated various services and items to be auctioned off to the highest bidder, with donations being made directly to Mercy Corps and UNICEF.
Auction #14: Picture Book Critique & Jump-the-Slush-Pile Invitation!
Description: Award-winning author Kate Messner will critique your picture book manuscript and offer suggestions to help you prepare for submissions. You'll receive both a "big-picture" letter and line edit suggestions via comments in Microsoft Word.
Once you've had a chance to revise, you'll get a jump-the-slush-pile pass to submit to Kate's much-loved editor, Melissa Manlove at Chronicle Books! Melissa will respond to your submission within 30 days. There's no guarantee you'll end up in print, but if she passes on the project, it will be with a little feedback to help you revise and/or consider where else you might send it.
Estimated Value: $600
Minimum Bid: $50
Auction Ends: 12/4/2013 at 10:00 PM EST
Bio: Kate Messner is the award winning author of more than twenty current & forthcoming books for kids, including New York Times Notable picture book and E.B. White Read Aloud Finalist OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW. Her books have been Junior Library Guild selections and SCBWI Golden Kite and Crystal Kite Award winners and nominated for more than a dozen state book awards.
Donor Kate Messner’s website: http://www.katemessner.com
* Bid by posting a comment with your bid amount in U.S. dollars; no anonymous bidding.
* To automatically receive updates on the latest bids, check the “Notify Me” box when you submit your comment.
* Highest bid before the end of the auction wins.
* A note about last-minute bidding: If you are used to online auctions that end at an exact, given second, please know that the KidLitPhil auctions don’t work quite that way. Each auction ends when I post the “Auction closed” comment. I do that when my computer turns to 10pm EST, but because I have multiple auctions to close at that time (also because I am human) it will not be precisely at 10pm EST. At any rate, the winning bid is the high bid before the Auction Closed comment, even if the time on your computer reads slightly after 10:00. Thanks for understanding!
* Winning bidder must donate the winning bid amount to a designated charity organization and provide a copy of the receipt within three days of notification.
* For physical items, unless otherwise noted, donor pays standard shipping within the U.S.; winning bidder pays for express shipping or for shipping outside the U.S.