Thursday, November 28, 2013

#KidLitPhil Auction item 14 from Kate Messner

KidLit for the Philippines is an online talent auction to benefit Mercy Corps and UNICEF relief efforts for Typhoon Haiyan (aka Yolanda). Agents, editors, authors, and illustrators have donated various services and items to be auctioned off to the highest bidder, with donations being made directly to Mercy Corps and UNICEF.

Auction #14: Picture Book Critique & Jump-the-Slush-Pile Invitation!

Description: Award-winning author Kate Messner will critique your picture book manuscript and offer suggestions to help you prepare for submissions. You'll receive both a "big-picture" letter and line edit suggestions via comments in Microsoft Word.

Once you've had a chance to revise, you'll get a jump-the-slush-pile pass to submit to Kate's much-loved editor, Melissa Manlove at Chronicle Books! Melissa will respond to your submission within 30 days. There's no guarantee you'll end up in print, but if she passes on the project, it will be with a little feedback to help you revise and/or consider where else you might send it.

Estimated Value: $600

Minimum Bid: $50

Auction Ends: 12/4/2013 at 10:00 PM EST

Bio: Kate Messner is the award winning author of more than twenty current & forthcoming books for kids, including New York Times Notable picture book and E.B. White Read Aloud Finalist OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW. Her books have been Junior Library Guild selections and SCBWI Golden Kite and Crystal Kite Award winners and nominated for more than a dozen state book awards.

Donor Kate Messner’s website: http://www.katemessner.com

Auction Instructions:
* Bid by posting a comment with your bid amount in U.S. dollars; no anonymous bidding.
* Do not bid unless you intend to pay that amount to Mercy Corps or UNICEF.
* To automatically receive updates on the latest bids, check the “Notify Me” box when you submit your comment.
* Highest bid before the end of the auction wins.
* A note about last-minute bidding: If you are used to online auctions that end at an exact, given second, please know that the KidLitPhil auctions don’t work quite that way. Each auction ends when I post the “Auction closed” comment. I do that when my computer turns to 10pm EST, but because I have multiple auctions to close at that time (also because I am human) it will not be precisely at 10pm EST. At any rate, the winning bid is the high bid before the Auction Closed comment, even if the time on your computer reads slightly after 10:00. Thanks for understanding!
* Winning bidder must donate the winning bid amount to a designated charity organization and provide a copy of the receipt within three days of notification.
* For physical items, unless otherwise noted, donor pays standard shipping within the U.S.; winning bidder pays for express shipping or for shipping outside the U.S.

37 comments:

  1. $50 Deb Dunn ddclimb (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. $75 What a great offer from Kate!

    susanhughes@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $500 okeefe (dot) jen (@) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. $535 wgreenley (at) comcast.(dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  6. $615 wgreenley (at) comcast.(dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, you are the highest bidder. Please make a donation in the amount of your high bid to MercyCorps or UNICEF.

      After you have made your donation, please email me at michelle(at)michellecusolito(dot)com with your receipt attached or embedded in the email. I’ll provide you with the information you’ll need to get in touch with the donor of your item and carry out the terms of the auction.

      Thank you for your support in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Your generosity will be enable MercyCorps and UNICEF to help survivors rebuild their lives.

      Delete
  7. Michelle, would you and Kate and Melissa allow me to match the highest bidder? I'd be willing to make a donation to help those in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Bidding right up until the last minute and my internet dropped out for a couple of minutes right after I closed it. The highest bid before closing was $615. Kathy, I cannot answer that question now. I'd have to ask them... but I suspect that may open a can of worms here... I'll let you know what I find out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the opportunity to participate in this, Michelle! I am excited to have been the highest bidder and I have made the donation. Let me know where to email a copy of the receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW. You are not going to believe this...

    Kathy, Kate and Melissa say they will be happy to offer a second critique/submission package if you match the $615 high bid.

    AND...if anyone else would like to do the same, Kate and Melissa will offer TWO MORE packages as well. These would go to the first two people to comment below. After you comment to confirm that you'd like to match the high bid, I'll let you know that you can make your donation, and we'll take it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Michelle! I'll make my donation to UNICEF right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to match the $615 donation, too. I appreciate the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in, Buffy. Donate as I directed Wendy, above and I'll connect you.

      Delete
  13. Are you kidding me! That's fantastic! Thank you so much! I'm in for $615 as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in, David!. Donate as I directed Wendy, above and I'll connect you with Kate.

      Delete