Friday, March 15, 2013

Yarn Bombing

At then end of January, I learned that Artworks! (an all around awesome community arts center in New Bedford, MA) would be yarn bombing the front of their building and a nearby fountain during aha! night in March. (aha! celebrates Arts History and Architecture in New Bedford). I wondered if they knew about the book Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Jon Klasssen, so I called them up and asked. I learned they didn't,  so offered to read the book in conjunction with their yarn bombing event. They welcomed the idea, so last night I headed down.


This is what greeted me upon my arrival:


And here's the nearby fountain:


I read Extra Yarn:

And then the kids got to help yarn bomb the tree outside:
All photos taken 14 March 2013

It was a fun way to spend and evening, but what does all of this have to do with you? 

I think this is a great activity you can do with your kids- connect reading the story with a fun project. Perhaps it will easiest if you work in a Waldorf School or are a homeschooler, but public school teachers could do this as part of an after school club or enrichment activity. Even better, a regular education teacher could do the reading lessons while the art teacher explores textile arts during his or her class time. 

A project like this also offers a unique opportunity involve multiple generations in a project. Perhaps clients at your local Senior Center (Council on Aging) would like to help. They could teach your kids how to knit, crochet, or weave pieces that can then be connected to yarn bomb something in your town or city. Its fun to see different styles of squares all stitched together.

Think your kids are too young to knit or weave? You'd be surprised by how much young children can do. My three year old niece has started learning how to use a "knitting fork" and my 7 year old daughter is a whiz at it. My daughter has also been learning to weave and knit from her grandmother. They enjoy their time together equally.

One final note: If you do yarn bomb something, please be sure to go back and remove it once it starts to look drab. You don't want your art to become an eyesore.

What do you think? Want to give it a try? Have you already read Extra Yarn and yarb bombed something with your kids?




No comments:

Post a Comment