Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Travel Tuesdays: Top 10 Reasons Why You (Yes, YOU!) Should Go on a Retreat

Today features children's book author and freelance writer, Julie Hedlund

For years I have taken at least a few days to myself – all by myself – to rest, rejuvenate, and rekindle my spirit. I started before my kids were born, and I continue the tradition to this day.

Why?

If I am always with others, I find it difficult to prevent myself from experiencing and interacting with the world solely through their eyes.  When I am alone, I can ask, "What do I see in this moment?  What is in my heart?  What am I meant to give to the world?  Where is my power?"

Second, I guarantee I am a much better mother as a result of the time away.  I am teaching my children that part of loving and respecting yourself requires being with yourself. Kids need to learn the importance of self-nurture before they reach adulthood.  Also, I think it's a good thing for kids (or spouses, partners, friends) to understand that we all have inner lives that, while connected to theirs, are also separate and deserving of respect.  

How?

I just pick the time, the place and make it happen. Simple as that. You don’t have to go to an ashram in India or hike the Appalachian Trail. Maybe a weekend in a cabin or a single night a local B & B will do the trick. Just get away from your routine, your environment, your responsibilities and yes, your family.

Here are my Top Ten reasons why:

  1. Time for yourself is not a luxury; it is a necessity. If we don't take care, respect and nurture ourselves, how do we expect to do so day and in day out for others?
  2. As I said, you will be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, or whatever other labels you go by, if you give yourself the gift of time.
  3. Life is short. What are the things you really want to do or the places you want to go just for yourself? Nobody is going to “give” you the time, so you’ll have to take it.
  4. You will get stronger. It is difficult to challenge yourself in your safe, tucked-away world at home. We are often plagued by self-doubt. Taking risks by traveling alone will quickly eradicate any conceptions you might have that you “cannot do it alone.”
  5. Discover what silence sounds like.
  6. In that silence, learn to listen to yourself.
  7. Be the star of your own life. This is your time to be a diva. Want chocolate for breakfast? Want to sleep in the afternoon and stay awake all night? Want to have your cards read and then go dancing? This is your adventure. You choose.
  8. Meet new people. Yes, you are alone, but that will not prevent you from meeting people – people you probably wouldn’t have met if you were traveling with others. Pretend each person you meet is carrying an important message for you, because s/he probably is.
  9. Expand your horizons. Always wanted to be a writer a painter, or a photographer? Want to take up yoga or explore meditation? Want to do a rim to rim hike in the Grand Canyon? Try a themed retreat – one aimed at making those dreams become reality.
  10. Return home refreshed, renewed, and ready to help others. How sweet your family, friends and home will be after you have spent some time away!

Julie Hedlund is a Picture Book author and Freelance Writer. She is so passionate about the need for women to take retreats, she’s fulfilling a lifelong dream by running one of her own – the first annual Writer’s Renaissance retreat in Florence, Italy in April, 2013.

Julie’s book, A TROOP IS A GROUP OF MONKEYS, will be released as an interactive storybook app for the iPad in January, 2013 by Little Bahalia Publishing. Julie is the founder and host of the 12 x 12 in 2012 picture book writing challenge, and a monthly contributor on Katie Davis’ Brain Burps About Books podcast on children’s literature. Her blog, website, and all social media coordinates can be found at http://www.juliehedlund.com.





16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post and a great reminder to take care of yourself. Love this! I do make time to go away but usually on writing retreats with friends. I love the idea of doing something on my own, for myself, alone. I'm going to make this a goal for next year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes making time for yourself is the hardest thing, isn't it, Deb?

      Delete
  2. Deb, I'm so glad this post has inspired you to plan something for yourself next year. It's the perfect time of year to do that contemplation and planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I like your reasons (and your excuse to have chocolate for breakfast ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate for breakfast is the best! :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm not so sure about the chocolate for breakfast ladies. I love me some dark chocolate, but usually in the afternoon...

      Delete
  4. I'm going on a one night B&B retreat this weekend! I do agree it is important to get away when possible. Sure wish I could join you in Italy...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Jarm! One night is far better than no nights! Maybe Italy can happen a different year. :-)

      Delete
    2. Jarm, have a lovely retreat! Maybe you'll hop back and tell us about it next week.

      Delete
  5. Great post and suggestions Julie. I have gone to spiritual retreats at least twice a year for years -- was told early on in my spiritual quest that it was necessary. Even did a silent two-week retreat in Brazil, which I soon learned was not about comfort, but becoming comfortable with myself. You've given some excellent suggestions about many things we can do to feed our spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, going twice a year is something I aspire to! Good for you for setting the standard we should all follow. There really is no way to know yourself without simply being with yourself.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I'm not sure I could be silent for 2 weeks. Amazing, Patricia.

      Delete
  6. Those are 10 excellent reasons, Julie!!! I think taking time for oneself is so important! Getting away from a routine is bound to breed inspiration. Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Penny. I hope you find some time to get away.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Julie! Ten excellent reasons for retreats. Time to yourself is a necessary part of life I learned many years ago...and I set up a goal earlier this year all about retreats. Alas, I'm short of my goal, but still have a month left to get one more getaway in.
    I think the most important thing about self-nurture is self-discovery. We know ourselves in a deeper way when we get away from the world telling us who we are. And THAT frees the writer inside us.
    Thanks Michelle for hosting Julie, and I love your page and blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sevenacresky, Thanks for visiting and for your kind words. What kind of retreats have you done recently? Writing? Spiritual? Something else?

      Delete